Your generous donations provide vital assistance for young women and/or any accompanying children. The Zig Zag housing team offer a range of supports that go beyond just sourcing accommodation. Homelessness impacts every aspect of a young woman’s life and wellbeing, so the supports that we provide are often as varied and diverse as each young woman’s situation and homelessness experience.
Our many years of combined experience tells us that the most useful gift for young women will always be the trusty GIFT VOUCHER! As we value and respect young women’s autonomy, the number one donation on our wish list is a ‘Gift Card’ or a monetary contribution that can be distributed as needed and provides choice for young women.
Whilst we always appreciate community generosity, please review what we can and cannot accept. Unfortunately, we cannot always accept all donations, either due to government regulations or sadly due to our available storage space.
Please note changes to donations during COVID-19 pandemic
In line with updated COVID-19 Safe Practices, and in an effort to manage risk by remaining as contactless as possible (to protect young women and their children, as well as our donors and workers), we can only accept items that we are in short supply of.
What can we accept:
- Unopened, full size (not sample sizes) soaps, cosmetics, period products; toilet paper
- Unopened cleaning products and detergents
- Unopened pantry goods, with long expiry dates
- Eyelet curtains (‘block out’ for privacy and safety is best)
- New laundry and cleaning items such as; laundry basket, powder, dish liquid, brooms, dustpans, cleaning products, sponges; mops and bucket set etc.
- New Manchester: (Sizes= Queen and King Single) New sheet sets; doona covers; towels, bathroom sets
- Gift cards for Kmart, Big W or Target.
- Unopened wipes, baby soap, lotions, shampoo etc.
- Disposable nappies (all sizes however toddler or ages 1-3 years are most common)
- Unopened tinned baby food (all ages), with long expiry dates
- New or handmade blankets/throws and indoor play mats
Furniture (including whitegoods)
- On case by case basis only, due to availability of storage size
What can’t we accept:
- Electrical items (toasters, small appliances)
- Car seats for children
- Second hand pillows, doonas and other bedding
- Second hand kitchen crockery or cookware
- Clothing and shoes
- Children’s/babies items, clothing and toys (baby items can be donated to Baby Give Back, who supply us with baby-related items when needed)